Sunday, July 19, 2009

Black Bean and Portabello Margarita Tamales

So in my internet wanderings I saw someone mention that they had made tamales and I stopped reading and put my own thinking cap on. So I know that I need masa flour which has some protein but I want to add some more. So my first thought is black beans, plus why not some mushrooms that I have in the fridge. I'll make my own sauce to go on top when they are done. Then as I was putting things together I thought... I've already got lime juice in with the beans, I've deglazed my pan with tequila, all I need now is a little triple-sec and like some kind of Hogwarts magic, I have these wonderful things. (Yield is 6 fairly substantial tamales and a bunch of sauce)

Ingredients:
2 medium to large onions cut into 8 wedges each
5-6 cloves of garlic diced
2 portabello mushrooms
1 can of black beans drained
1/2 tsp cumin (twice) (plus a couple of shakes)
1 tsp chili powder
Bragg's Liquid Aminos
4 drops liquid smoke
2 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 can diced tomatoes and chilis
2 cups Corn Masa mix
2 cups of water
Tequila
Triple Sec
Parchment paper

Take two portabello tops, cut off the end of the step, put them fin side up on a baking sheet that has been sprayed. Put a couple dashes of Bragg's liquid aminos into each and then lightly sprinkle with cumin. Place in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.

Put all the onions in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat with a little oil or cooking spray and let carmelize (this takes a little time). Stir occasionally. Once they start to get lightly brown add the garlic.

While the onions and garlic are going, drain your can of black beans into a medium bowl and add the lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt and liquid smoke.

Once the garlic starts to look lightly brown pour enough tequila into the pan to deglaze it. Then you're going to put 1/2 of the onions/garlic into the food processor and the other 1/2 onto the cutting board. Once they cool down cut into larger than dice size pieces and add to the beans in the bowl. Once the mushrooms are done, dice them into 1/2" pieces and add to the bowl.

Take the onion/garlic mixture in the food processor, add 1 can of tomatoes and chilies and pulse until the big chunks are gone. Then put that into a sauce pan with 1/2 tsp of cumin and 2 small cans to tomato sauce. Some might find this too spicy. In that case I'd say use stewed tomatoes in place of the tomatoes and chilies and then add chili powder to taste. Let this simmer until dinner is ready.

Add 1 Tbsp of Triple Sec to the Bean bowl. In a separate bowl add the 2 cups of Corn Masa Mix along with 2 cups of water. Stir well. Once combined into a thin paste type mixture stir it into the contents of the bean bowl. I then took 3 pieces of parchment paper roughly 10" long off the roll and cut them in half giving me 6 pieces of paper roughly 10" long and maybe 5-6 wide. Spray each of these with cooking spray, and place healthy amount of the filling onto the center of one of the pieces of paper. Pull one long side over the filling and tightly roll it. Put the seam on the bottom and bring the ends under, pushing the filling back into the middle. Repeat with the other 5.

Your oven should still be on from the mushrooms. Place the tamales on a baking sheet for 45 minutes. Carefully open to serve (they will be very hot and steamy!).

Cover with a ladle or two of sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment