Saturday, July 4, 2009

BBQ Sauce

This is a picture of the simmering cauldron of BBQ sauce that I have on the stove currently. This will be used for tomorrow nights dinner but I want it to thicken up a bit and to concentrate the flavors.

Start with 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, and 1 small can of tomato sauce. Put this in a mid-size sauce pan and bring this up to a medium heat.

To this you're going to add a medium to largish onion diced, 4-5 large cloves of garlic also diced.

Then you're going to add some chili powder - I didn't measure mine but I'd guess maybe around a TBSP. I then added a TSP or so of cumin. Then add 2 TBSP of Steak Sauce. I would have added Worcestershire sauce instead of the steak sauce but I didn't have any without anchovies.
Then add 1/2 TSP or so of ground cinnamon and 1/2 TSP or so of ground nutmeg.

Add in a light sprinkling of sea salt and a healthy dose of cracked pepper and bring it all to a boil.

Once boiling, lower to a healthy simmer.

I let it simmer for about 30 minutes and then added 2 TBSP of maple syrup. Another 30 minutes and I then added a little less than 1/4 cup of brown sugar. This then simmered for another hour or so.

Take the mixture and pour it into a food processor or blender and process to turn the onion and garlic pieces into tiny bits of yummy goodness. I then put it all back in the pot and let it simmer some more. Later it will go in the fridge for tomorrow nights dinner.

The sauce has a light tangy sweetness with a slight lingering zip.

No comments:

Post a Comment