Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fish Fingers

I'm a big fan of the television show "Doctor Who".  The new season started tonight and so I knew that dinner had to be special for the kids.  When this version of the Doctor started off last season he ate Fish Fingers (sticks) and custard.  I'm not quite that crazy but I wanted the Fish Fingers.  I knew that I needed a starch as well, so why not bake some "Daleks" (one of the arch-enemies of the Doctor) and the peas, well those are "Slitheen eggs".

I found a recipe on good baker.com and then modified it

You will need the following:
3/4 cup of plain soymilk
1 block of firm tofu, drained but not pressed
1/4 cup hemp seeds, ground (I used a mortar and pestle)
1/2 cup panko
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/8 cup dulce flakes (seaweed - if you don't have dulce, grind up some nori)
1 tbsp corn starch

Heat the oven to 400

Mix the corn starch into the soy milk in a bowl.
Place the tofu largest side down, then cut 1/2" slices in the "short" direction.  Once those are all cut, put them on their large side and cut them in half. 

Soak the tofu in the soymilk/corn starch mixture.

Mix all of the other ingredients in a pie plate.

Line a baking pan with parchment paper

Dredge each piece of tofu in the mixture and place on the parchment.  Once they are all dredged, bake for a total of 20 minutes, flip them over around 10 minutes.

If you want some tartar sauce as well, mix in the following ratio: 1 Tbsp relish to 2 Tbsp vegannaise with  1/2 tsp onion powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment