Friday, January 1, 2010

An excellent chocolate cake


I needed to make a birthday cake and so I did what most people do these days. I Googled "Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe" and there was a bunch. I found one that was described as the best cake ever. Well I had to try that. So, first let me give credit where it is due. I found this cake at Instructables.com (http://www.instructables.com/id/The-BEST-chococlate-cake-ever...that-happens-to-be/) and it was written by someone named Alicia K.


I present what I did here for you. The picture represents the cake after we had already had some.
There are two ingredient lists, one for the cake and one for the chocolate glaze. You're going to need some time for the recipe as the cake needs to cool off before you can put the glaze on top of it.
Cake Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or a little more)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled vinegar (I used apple cider)
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
Add all of the liquid ingredients and stir until the batter is will combined
Pour the batter into an 8x8 pan (I sprayed mine with cooking spray first)
Cook for 35+ minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean)
Remove from pan and place on a rack to cool.
Chocolate Glaze ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tbsp margarine
2 Tbsp vanilla soy milk
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (mine were heaping)
Jimmies/Sprinkles whatever else you might want to decorate with
Once the cake has cooled, everything but the jimmies/sprinkles in a small sauce pan
Put over moderate heat and stirring often bring to a boil
Once at a boil reduce to a simmer and continue stirring for 2 minutes
Remove from heat and occasionally stir for the next five minutes.
Pour over the cake letting gravity spread it across the cake
Add any jimmies/sprinkles decorations you want
Let the glaze continue to cool on the cake and develop a nice shine
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment