Monday, January 18, 2010

Amish White Bread

Amish White Bread
I've tried making bread many times. I blame my mother for this. Growing up it seemed she was always baking something and the smell of fresh baked bread lingers in my head all these years later.

So I've run through many recipes. One problem I have had repeatedly was a non-rising bread. This recipe though seems to work well.

Ingredients:
1/4 oz Dry Yeast (1 packet)
1/2 Cup Warm Water
1/3 Cup Sugar
2 tsp Salt
2 Cups Water
2 1/2 Tbsp Shortening
6-7 Cups All Purpose Flour (I have not tried it yet with any whole wheat flour)

Instructions:
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water
In a Mixing Bowl combine the 2 cups water, sugar, salt and shortening
Stir in the yeast and water
Slowly add the flour to form a moist dough (I used a kitchenaid for this part)
I then kneaded it in the mixer. You could also do this by hand
Put in a greased bowl covered and let rise (I put mine near my Cable Box where it is nice and warm) for two hours.
Punch down, and divide into two equal parts.
Place into two greased loaf pans and let rise until higher than the pans (another 1-2 hours, back to the Cable Box!)
Bake at 375 for 30 minutes
Cool for 10 minutes
Turn pans on side and let rest until bread is loosened.
Remove bread from pans and let cool completely on a rack.

This is a great, easy bread recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment