Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rice and Lentil "meatballs"

I got this recipe from a friend via her sister-in-law and decided to give it a try. The original recipe called for brown rice but I was out (I know, they're going to take away my healthy eating card!). I used Jasmine Rice and they still turned out great. I also made a couple of other changes to better reflect the way we eat here and the flavors we go for. So... thanks Lerche-in-law for the base recipe.

1/2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Salt
3 full grinds Black Pepper
1/2 cup Lentils (uncooked)
1/2 cup Rice (uncooked)
2 1/2 cups Water
1 Boullion cube (Veggie of course)
3/4 tsp Baking Powder

Put the Lentils, Rice, Water and Boullion in a pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cover. Let cook for 30 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Uncover to start cooling.

Preheat oven to 375

Mix the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Once the lentil/rice mixture is no longer going to burn your fingers off, add it into the flour mixture. Mix well and then scoop out into small ball shapes on a grease/sprayed baking sheet.

Either coat the meatballs with olive oil or cooking spray and then bake for 30-40 minutes turning every 10.

I gave mine an additional 5 minutes in the broiler but shouldn't have. They didn't need it at all. Additionally, next time I'm going to leave out the cumin but add more oregano and some basil and go for more of an Italian flavor. These would be great with pasta and some red sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment